Salary: £21,840 to £26,000
Company: York Health Economics Consortium
Closing Date: October 18, 2023
York Health Economics Consortium (YHEC) is looking to recruit a Research Assistant to work on a range of evidence-based research and consultancy projects within our Review and Evidence Synthesis (RES) work stream. This is a great opportunity to begin a career in reviewing within a supportive and welcoming team. We are a health economics research and consulting company owned by, and based at, the University of York. We provide consultancy and research to a wide range of public and private sector bodies.
This role will have a 3-month training period to allow you to become familiar with our process for conducting reviews and the specific tasks involved. The training will include a combination of individual task training sessions supervised by different members of the review team and on the job training. You will be assigned a buddy who will provide support as you progress through your training programme and help you adapt to your first professional role.
We have a team of around 67 staff and hold the Investors in People accreditation with our composite score of 765, against an industry benchmark of 726, putting us in the top 20% of organisations. We want staff to enjoy working at YHEC; our office is a friendly place to work and we have an employee wellbeing programme. This is based on suggestions from staff and includes lunchtime walks, sporting activities and charity fundraising events. YHEC staff nominate a charity on an annual basis and undertake fundraising throughout the year. We also have a social committee who organise events on a regular basis. We are keen to support voluntary / charitable activities and staff may set aside up to two days per year (in work time) to undertake such activities. Staff at YHEC enjoy our inclusive, flexible and friendly working environment. To see what it’s like to work at YHEC please see our video on our website https://yhec.co.uk/careers/
Main Purpose of the Job
The main purpose of this role is to work as an integral member of a review project team and to provide research and administrative support. The post holder will work as part of a team of 10 Research Assistants. This post will report to a Senior Research Consultant in the Review and Evidence Synthesis team.
The main responsibilities of a Research Assistant are:
• Undertaking specific research tasks within the wider review project as part of a research team e.g study selection, data extraction and presentation of final results.
• Involvement in preparing proposals for project work, e.g. background research, gathering literature, drafting / collating standard sections of proposal.
• Endnote library (bibliographic software) development/maintenance and checking and formatting bibliographic references.
• Proactive management of projects, including project monitoring, e.g. ensuring minimal slippage, flagging up deadlines to team.
• Preparation of brief notes, agendas, minutes, reports and related project correspondence.
• Collating and managing team procedures/handbooks for general office use.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Attributes are:
Educated to degree level in a science or health-related subject area with an interest in health care.
• A basic knowledge of research design and awareness of clinical trials.
• Excellent planning and organisational skills:
o Time management.
o Prioritising workload to meet specific deadlines.
o Working to deadlines and ensuring project team are aware of these.
• Ability to produce work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail within tight deadlines.
• Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative with a high degree of self-motivation and proactivity.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work under pressure with an adaptable approach to work.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and use tact and discretion.
Terms of Employment
Posts at YHEC are permanent and subject to regular review of performance. Staff are appointed for a trial period of six months, following which employment will be confirmed, subject to successful performance.
The salary will be in the range of £21,840 to £26,000 subject to qualifications and experience. Membership of a defined contribution or defined benefit pension scheme is available subject to eligibility criteria being satisfied.
Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days per year, plus bank holidays.
For further information on the role and how to apply please see https://yhec.co.uk/wp-content/